Spanish Rice Recipe
Spanish Rice Notes
This recipe comes to us courtesy of the "Spice of Life Cookbook" by Treva Davis (no longer in print).
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef
- 1 cup onion, chopped (1 large)
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped (1 Large)
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon Hungarian sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons cilantra
- 2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder (no salt added)
- 4 tablespoon no salt ketchup
- 3 1/2 cups cooked white rice
- 2 cups no salt tomato sauce
- 1 5.5 ounce can low sodium V8 vegetable juice
- 2 cups no salt stewed tomatoes
Serves / Yields
Makes Six 2 Cup Servings
In a medium skillet brown meat, onion and green pepper until meat is no longer pink. Turn off heat and drain meat juices. Wipe fat from skillet with paper towels. If desired wash meat by placing in a sieve and running hot water through it.
Add meat mixture and remaining ingredients to 4 quart sauce pan. Cover and simmer on low heat 40 minutes.
The slow cooking allows the flavor to blend and green pepper and onion to become tender. In fact, this will actually taste better the next day, as do many casserole or combination dishes.
This recipe also may be used to stuff cabbage, peppers or your face.