Spicy Chai Recipe
Submitted By:from Des Moines.
Spicy Chai Notes
This is a seasoning mix for quick spicy chai. Unlike most recipes, the seasoning mix can be prepared ahead and stored in the refrigerator until needed. Also neither the spices nor the tea are cooked. Just add this to any brewed black tea. A warning: it is very spicy and amounts of the mix can be adjusted to personal taste.
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 5 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground Vietnamese cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Tellicherry black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg (optional)
Serves / Yields
Mix all ingredients well. Store in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator.
Brew a full-flavored black tea (like Assam, Keemun, or Yunnan) extra strong.
To drink hot, add 1 Tablespoon (or more to taste) to cup, pour in tea, and mix.
To drink iced, pour tea over ice cubes in tall glass, add 1 Tablespoon (or more to taste) and stir. For iced tea, it is helpful to allow tea to brew for about 5 minutes, and allow to cool a bit before pouring over the ice.
Feel free to edit the recipe to your own preferences.