Spike's Raspberry Dill Vinaigrette with Persephone's Home Coming Salad Recipe
Submitted By:from Kenosha.
Spike's Raspberry Dill Vinaigrette with Persephone's Home Coming Salad Notes
A very good friend of mine (Adam "Spike" Schoenwald, cause he deserves credit for this one) brought me a bottle of raspberry vinegar during my first Thanksgiving event. He told me he loved that stuff and to "do something with it." So I did. I enhanced a favorite salad recipe from a restaurant I had worked at, and added the vinaigrette to it. Since that time, I get demands to bring this creation to every festivity I attend.
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup raspberry wine vinegar or raspberry balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cranberry mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper (preferably salt-free)
- to taste, freshly ground black pepper (preferably Tellicherry)
- 3-4 tablespoons dried dill weed
- 1 head each romaine, red leaf, endive, escarole, butterhead, radicchio (use the kinds of leafy greens you like)
- 2 tart apples, sliced (Gala, Granny Smith, or Pink Lady)
- 2 ripe red pears, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1-2 cans mandarin oranges
- 1 cup walnuts or pecans, shelled and chopped
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 8 ounces Greek feta cheese, crumbled
Serves / Yields
A whole lot
For the vinaigrette dressing:
Put the first eight ingredients (ending at the dill weed) in a medium bowl and whisk with a wire whisk or you can put into a blender and hit the "blend" option. You want to mix until you get a fluffy, creamy-greenish color.
This can be refrigerated and used for approximately one week.
For the salad:
Wash all of the lettuce leaves, and cut or rip into bite-sized pieces. Add the fruit, nuts and feta cheese. Toss well and serve with the dressing.
I recommend using only aged feta cheese. Use no substitutes!
This raspberry vinaigrette dressing can be used on any salad you like.