Spinach and Rice (Spanakorizo) Recipe
Submitted By:from Glenview.
Spinach and Rice (Spanakorizo) Notes
This is a Greek side dish that our family loves. Add a little Feta cheese and fresh lemon after it's cooked and you are in heaven.
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 pounds fresh spinach, rinsed and destemmed
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- to taste, salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup uncooked white rice
- Feta cheese, crumbled, optional garnish
- freshly squeezed lemon juice, optional garnish
Serves / Yields
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute onions in the oil until soft and translucent.
Add spinach, and cook stirring for a few minutes. Then, pour in the tomato sauce and water. Bring to a boil, and season with parsley, dill, salt and pepper.
Stir in rice, reduce heat to low, and simmer uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes (or until rice is tender). Add more water if necessary.
You can use frozen, chopped spinach instead of fresh.