Veggie Chili Recipe
Submitted By:from Johnstown.
Veggie Chili Notes
I became a vegetarian a little while ago and I use a lot of spices now. Here is a recipe for a chili that doesn't use a meat subsitute. Meat lovers like this recipe a lot.
- 1 block firm tofu, optional
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, cleaned and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, cleaned and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small bag frozen corn
- 2 (15 ounce) cans garbanzo beans, drained
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons sugar, optional
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons basil
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- shredded cheese, to garnish each bowl for serving
Serves / Yields
Saute onion, peppers and garlic for about 5 minutes. Add all ingredients to a crockpot, except for cheese. Cook on low for 4 - 5 hours. Stir once in a while.
Put cheese on top of each bowl and serve.
This is good with a crusty bread.
If you use tofu it takes on the flavor of the chili and makes it a little thicker. Squeeze water out of tofu and crumble it into the pot.
For vegan chili, omit sugar and cheese.
This recipe has no comments. Be the first to submit a comment!