Wasabi Wings Recipe
Submitted By:from Chicago.
Wasabi Wings Notes
I keep trying to find new ways to use wasabi rather than just with sushi and tuna steak, so here it is.
- 16 chicken wing pieces
- 1/8 cup vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon fresh horseradish (not the creamy type)
- 2 jalapeno peppers, roughly chopped
- 1 Tablespoon distilled vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 2 teaspoons wasabi powder, mixed with enough water to form a thick paste
- oil for frying
- pickled ginger for garnish
Serves / Yields
Put all ingredients except wings in a food processor and process into a thick paste. Spoon paste into a zip top bag and add wings to coat thoroughly. Let sit in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
Heat 1" oil in a saucepan until very hot. Shake off excess paste and carefully drop in the wings, in one layer only. Cover immediately and let fry for 7-8 minutes. Turn the wings in the oil, cover, and fry for another 7-8 minutes. Drain and serve with pickled ginger.
I find it's not necessary to heat enough oil to cover the wings, because by covering the pan, the wings cook quite thorougly, but the hot oil will be enough to crisp the skin.