Aromatic Rice Recipe
Submitted By:from Chicago.
Aromatic Rice Notes
Impressing your guests with cooked rice doesn't get any easier than this.
- Basmati rice, rinsed (about 1/3 cup per person)
- 4-5 whole cardamom pods (per serving)
- 2-3 whole cloves (per serving)
- 1 cinnamon stick (per serving)
- cold water (about 1 1/2- 2 times the amount of rice)
Serves / Yields
Put rice, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon stick, and water in a pot and allow to come to a boil. Contrary to instructions that you usually read about cooking rice, do not put on the lid, or the liquid will boil over. Once it boils, turn the heat down and simmer slightly uncovered for 7 minutes. Then cover, reduce the heat further, and let cook for another 8 minutes. Turn the heat off and let the rice sit for 15 minutes before fluffing.
To make it even more aromatic, saute the rinsed rice in heated ghee (clarified butter) for a couple of minutes before adding water (increase to 2 parts water) and the whole spices.
Photo by Dan Williamson.