Herbs de Provence Chicken Recipe
Herbs de Provence Chicken Notes
I have been making this for years. I finally quantified it so that others could enjoy this lovely dish.
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 3-1/2 to 4 Pound Whole Chicken
- 1-1/2 Cups Sliced Shallots or red onion
- 2 Cups sliced peeled carrots
- 4 Cups Yukon Gold baby potatoes, unpeeled, cut in half or quartered.
- 1-1/2 Teaspoons, divided or to taste salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground pepper or to taste
- 2-1/2 teaspoons Herbs de Provence, divided or to taste
- 1-1/2 Cups Chardonnay or other dry white wine
- 2 Tablespoons Water
- 1 Bunch Asparagus, washed, broken in bite sized pieces from tip, or 15-20 green beans trimmed ans cut
- To taste Freshly chopped or dried parsley for garnish
Serves / Yields
Heat a large covered pot (such as Le Creuset) over medium heat. Add oil and then lightly brown chicken starting with one side, over to the breast then the other side and ending with the back. Using two very strong large cooking spoons, lift the chicken onto a plate placing it on its back.
Put the shallots into the pot and sauté for 2-4 minutes or until beginning to become translucent. Add the carrots and sauté 3-5 minutes. Add potatoes and sauté 4-6 minutes. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of the salt, all of the pepper and 1/2 teaspoon of the Herbs de Provence over the vegetables. Pour the wine and the water over the vegetables. Place the chicken, on its back on top of the vegetables. Sprinkle chicken with remaining salt and Herbs de Provence.
Bring the pot to a boil and reduce to a good simmer. Cook 1 hour covered or until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is almost done. For the last 5-9 minutes, add the asparagus or green beans to the pot and finish cooking the chicken.
Remove chicken with the same sturdy spoons to a large serving bowl. Place the vegetables and broth around the chicken.
Garnish with the parsley.
This is a lovely dish for springtime with the asparagus or all year long with the green beans.
Photo by Ronald Sims.
This recipe has no comments. Be the first to submit a comment!