Iranian Beef Stew Recipe
Submitted By:from 168 Ardmore Road.
Iranian Beef Stew Notes
I used to work with a woman from Iran who was a marvelous cook. This is one of the many wonderful Iranian recipes she shared with me. I never did perfect her method of cooking rice to form a golden crust on the bottom which, according to her, was always served to the most favored guest. The spice mix makes about 1/2 cup.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds lean beef, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- to taste, salt
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen cut green beans
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1-1 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg (freshly ground)
- pinch of ground cinnamon
Serves / Yields
Mix the cumin, pepper, coriander, cloves, cardamom, nutmeg, and cinnamon together. It will make about 1/2 cup. You will only need I tablespoon of the spice mixture for this recipe. (That means you can make it 8 times!)
Heat olive oil in a large pot. Add onions and garlic. Saute until onions are tender.
Add beef. Cook until beef is brown on all sides.
Add tomatoes, cilantro, salt and spice mixture. Cook and stir 1 minute.
Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer over low heat for 1 1/2 hours.
Add green beans and cook another 1/2 hour. Garnish with additional fresh cilantro and serve over hot basmati rice.