Mediterranean Salad Recipe
Mediterranean Salad Notes
One day while making a tomato-basil-mozzarella salad, I decided to give it a bit of a Greek twist. This is the result.
- 1 large vine-ripened tomato or 1 cup grape tomatoes
- about a dozen cloves of roasted garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted red peppers
- 1 4-oz package herbed feta cheese crumbles
- half of a small, sweet onion (Vidalia are best), diced
- 1 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 12 or so large leaves fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon Greek oregano
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- fresh-squeezed juice of one lemon
Serves / Yields
Cut up and seed the tomato, or just wash the grape tomatoes. Cut roasted peppers into bite-sized chunks. Dice onion. Shred basil leaves. Add all ingredients to a medium bowl and mix well. Chill before serving.
The great thing about this recipe is that it allows for all kinds of customizing. Fresh bell peppers sound better than roasted? That'd be good too. Prefer green olives to black? Go for it. Feel like using mozzarella instead of (or in addition to) the feta? Sure, why not. Want to try lime juice instead of lemon? Have fun. Balsamic vinegar instead of white? Can't go wrong there. Garlic lover? Add some more roasted cloves (though be warned, I already go pretty heavy on that). Make it however you like - just have fun!