Red Lentil Soup with Garam Masala Recipe
Red Lentil Soup with Garam Masala Notes
From Nepal; Ingredients with a '*' can be replaced with 4 1/2 teaspoons of ground Garam Masala (total replacement, not per ingredient)
- 2-1/2 cups dried red lentils (about one pound)
- 2 medium onions, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder, medium hot
- 1-1/2 teaspoons coriander seed, ground *
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper *
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin seed, ground *
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon *
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne chile pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom *
- 1/8 teaspoons ground cloves *
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups chicken broth
Serves / Yields
In a bowl soak lentils in water to cover by 2 inches 1 hour and drain in a fine sieve.
In a 4-quart heavy saucepan cook onions in oil over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until golden brown. Stir in salt and spices and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Stir in lentils, water and broth and simmer until lentils fall apart, about 25 minutes. (Old lentils may take longer to cook.) Let soup cool slightly.
Transfer soup to a blender in batches and puree (use caution when blending hot liquids), transferring to a bowl. In a pan heat soup over moderate heat, stirring, until hot and season with salt if necessary. Makes about 12 cups, serving six as a main course.