There are a few different types of garlic and butter you can make depending on what you’d like to use the butter on. For example, if you’re looking for an herb butter for steak you’ll want to make a compound butter, however if you’re looking for a garlic butter for seafood, you’ll probably want to make a garlic butter sauce.
What is Compound Butter?
Compound butter is perfect for steaks, and also works well for corn on the cob, or even just spread on your favorite bread. Compound butter is simply butter with whatever flavored add-ins you decide to use. Compound butter can be either sweet or savory and is easy to make. Compound butter elevates ordinary butter, perfect for dinner parties, and helps to increase the appeal of simple dishes.
How to Make Compound Butter For Steak
Using fresh herbs and garlic make all of the difference in this compound butter recipe, so it’s highly recommended to use fresh over dried.
Tools you’ll need:
- Mixing bowl
- Plastic wrap
- 1 stick of softened butter
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 clove of freshly minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons of fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoons of freshly chopped herbs
- Use basil, oregano, rosemary, or whatever you prefer
- ¼ teaspoon of black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Place butter mixture onto a piece of plastic wrap and roll into a log. Twist ends to seal.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Slice into rounds and enjoy melted over steak when serving.
How to Make Garlic Butter for Seafood
The best garlic butter for seafood is usually served as a sauce that the fish can be easily dipped in. Similarly to compound butter, this garlic butter is best when fresh herbs and garlic are used.
Here’s what tools you’ll need:
- Serving dish
- 1 stick of butter
- 4 cloves of freshly minced garlic
- 1 ½ tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped chives
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add butter to saucepan and heat over medium heat until butter is fully melted, then turn the heat to low
- Mix in the garlic and continue to cook over low heat for 1-2 minutes
- Add in the lemon juice and fresh herbs and stir to combine
- Remove from heat and serve warm