Low-Fat Chicken Fajitas
Submitted by: Keith from Alexandria, KY
Featured in this Recipe
1. Mix the oil, juice from the limes, and fajita seasoning in a sealable container. I tend to use a large Ziplock plastic bag for this purpose. Add the chicken, coat thoroughly and marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
2. Once ready to begin cooking, spray the inside of a large frying pan with PAM or Weight Watchers spray. Quickly begin to brown the garlic, stirring rapidly. Then add the chopped onions and combine with the garlic. Stirring often, cook until the mixture begins to soften and brown.
3. After cooking the onions, set them aside. Use the same large frying pan to cook the chicken and marinade combination, again on high heat. Lowering heat, cook until mixture is essentially dry and set aside, keeping the chicken warm.
4. Using either gas or charcoal, spray the grill rack with PAM or weight watchers spray. Using medium to high heat, grill the bell peppers and yellow zucchini until they take on grilling marks.
5. In a cast iron skillet placed inside the grill, cook the tomato halves. Simmer uncovered until they become slightly dry. Stir occasionally so they don’t burn.
6. Heat the refried beans in an appropriate container and set aside, keeping them warm until ready to serve.
7. Wrap medium or large tortillas inside a thin cotton towel. Place inside a microwave oven and heat just until well warmed so as not to cause them to become dry.
8. Perhaps using a buffet approach to serving, each person can fill a warmed tortilla with whatever ingredients suit any person’s particular tastes.
More About This Recipe
There are many options, variations and alternatives, more than I can really begin to address. The variation that most immediately comes to mind is forgoing the tortilla and simply creating a mound of whichever ingredients seem most desirable at the time.