Submitted by: Mabel from Chicago, IL
- Put rice, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon stick, and water in a pot and allow to come to a boil.
- Contrary to instructions that you usually read about cooking rice, do not put on the lid, or the liquid will boil over.
- Once it boils, turn the heat down and simmer slightly uncovered for 7 minutes.
- Then cover, reduce the heat further, and let cook for another 8 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and let the rice sit for 15 minutes before fluffing.
To make it even more aromatic, saute the rinsed rice in heated ghee (clarified butter) for a couple of minutes before adding water (increase to 2 parts water) and the whole spices. Be sure to read the directions on your bag of rice as they tend to vary from brand to brand.