Submitted by: Grandma Flanigans from Milwaukee, Wi
Yield: 3-4 lbs.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Pour Guinness into bowl and set aside sobeer flattens. Rub roast with Bloody Mary Mate seasoning. In large non-stick pan over medium-high heat, add vegetable oil. Sear roast on each side until browned. Immediately remove meat from pan and set in large roasting pan.
- Coarsely chop onions and add to pan along with garlic. Add stock. Roast in preheated oven 1 hour. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and add
Guinness. Liquid level should be at least halfway up side of roast.
- Roast an additional 2 hours, check liquid level periodically and add water if needed. If adding vegetables while roast cooks, add during
last 45 minutes. After 3 hours, roast should be fork-tender.
- Transfer roast onto warm platter. Place roasting pan on stove top, on high, stirring juices constantly. Make a slurry by combining water and
cornstarch. Gradually add to juice until mixture thickens.
- Cook 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and serve over meat and vegetables.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Note: At the restaurant vegetables such as carrots, wedges
of cabbage and mashed potatoes are served alongside meat. If desired,
your choice of vegetables can be added to pot and cooked with roast as
Photo by Jim Klocek.