Submitted by: Kate from Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1. Heat 5 tablespoons oil in a wok or frying pan, add noodles with just enough water or tamarind juice to soften them. Fry, turning constantly with a spatula to prevent sticking, then move to one side of the wok pan, or remove.
2. Add 2 tablespoons cooking oil to pan. When heated, break the eggs into the pan and scramble with spatula, spreading egg in a thin layer over the pan.
3. When set, return the noodles to the pan and mix together. Add shrimp, chicken or pork, tofu, fish sauce and tamarind juice. Mix together until meat is cooked.
4. Quickly stir in bean sprouts, ground chile, sugar and scallions.
5. Spoon onto plates and sprinkle ground peanuts on top. Serve immediately.
Fried noodles require a lot of oil. You can reduce the oil amount and par-boil the noodles in boiling salt water for 2 minutes. Glass noodles may also be substituted. To make tamarind water combine 2 parts water to 1 part concentrate.