Submitted by: Lonnie from San Diego, CA
1. In a medium saucepan heat oil and saute shallots, and garlic until softened. About 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
2. Add butternut squash and season with curry powder . Stir to coat. Then cover and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add coconut milk, vegetable broth, maple syrup, and 2 cups of water.
4. Bring to a low boil over medium heat and then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes or until butternut squash is fork tender.
5. Use an immersion blender, or transfer soup to a blender, and purée on high until creamy and smooth. If using a blender, return soup back to pot.
6. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more curry powder, salt, or sweetener as needed. Continue cooking for a few more minutes over medium heat.
7. Serve with toasted flatbread. Optional: Top each bowl with toasted pumpkin seeds and a drizzle of chili oil(for heat).