This is a simple curried rice recipe using sweet curry powder from The Spice House. Learn how to make an 8 serving curried rice dish to bring to a potluck!
Submitted by: Elizabeth Crawford from Milwaukee, WI
Yield: serves 8
Featured in this Recipe
- Heat oil in a 3 to 4 quart heavy saucepan, cook garlic and onions over medium-low heat until softened.
- Add curry powder and rice and cook, stirring often, about 1 min.
- Add water and salt and bring to a boil, uncovered, without stirring, until the surface of the rice is covered with steam holes and the grains on top appear dry (about 8 minutes).
- Reduce heat to as low as possible, then cover with a tight fitting lid. Cook another 15 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and let the curry rice stand another five minutes before serving.
Absolutely delicious and takes very little time. I made it again the second time using 1 tsp curry powder and 2 tsp premixed garam masala, and added sriracha sauce to taste. with just those changes it gives it a completely different feel, both tasted delicious, mine had a spicy kick to it! Thank you for sharing
I burned it accidentally the first time I tried, but for those of you with a rice cooker, it’s easiest just mix the fried onions, rice, water, and curry powder together in a rice cooker’s container, then just cook the rice regularly.