Submitted by: Jennifer from Chicago, Illinois
Yield: 8-10 Main Course Servings
Heat the oil in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and saute until tender, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and continue to cook until fragrant, about 2 more minutes.
Mix in the cocoa powder, half of the chili powder and cumin, and the oregano. Cook 1 minute.
Add the elk (or other meat) and cook until browned, about 7-10 minutes. Mix in tomatoes and honey. Bring to simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for about 30 minutes.
Add beans, water, salt, chipotle, cinnamon and other half of the chili powder and cumin. Bring to boil over high heat and then reduce to medium and simmer uncovered until it thinkens slightly, about 20 minutes. Stir often.
Season with salt. Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cool slightly before serving or refrigerating. You can also freeze it for future use.
More About This Recipe
Assorted toppings go well with this chili: sour cream, chopped fresh cilantro, green onions, shredded cheeses, diced hot peppers, and shaved bittersweet chocolate.
Browse For Similar Recipes
- Popular collection_american-recipes Recipes
- Best collection_bean-recipes Recipes
- Favorite collection_beef-recipes Recipes
- Recommended collection_chili-recipes Recipes
- Trending collection_game-recipes Recipes
- Popular collection_main-dish-recipes Recipes
- Best collection_pulse Recipes
- Favorite collection_soup-recipes Recipes
- Recommended is_moderated Recipes
- Trending main-dish-recipes Recipes
- Popular One Pot Recipes