A sweet, spicy chile spread with garlicky flavor and deliciously slow, building heat. Great for spreading on sandwiches or hamburgers. This recipe also makes a terrific marinade for shrimp or fish.
Submitted by: Alex W. from Ellsworth, WI
Yield: Approx. 1 cup
1. Move your oven rack to it’s topmost position and preheat the broiler on high.
2. Remove stem and seeds from the bell pepper and cut into quarters.
3. Lightly crush garlic cloves and remove skins.
4. Place bell pepper pieces and garlic cloves in an ovenproof dish and toss with a light drizzle of olive oil. Arrange the pepper pieces skin side up if possible.
5. Place under the hot broiler for approximately 5 minutes or until the peppers and garlic start to blister and char.
6. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
7. Add roasted peppers, garlic, olive oil and Merguez seasoning to a food processor or blender and blitz to desired consistency.
8. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to two weeks in the refrigerator.
Broiler temps may vary, check your peppers and garlic to make sure they are charred but not burnt.