Submitted by: Mabel from Chicago, IL
- To prepare the chicken, remove the vertebrate by cutting along either side with kitchen shears. Break the breast bone if necessary so the chicken can lay flat.
- Mix all ingredients for the marinade together. Rub the chicken with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Let the chicken sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes before ready to broil.
- Mix together the ingredients of the basting sauce. Start the oven broiler and baste the skin with the coconut sauce.
- Place chicken skin side up on a roasting rack about 8" under the broiler.
- Baste frequently and broil for an hour. When ready, the chicken should be blackened on top and moist underneath.
I use finger hot peppers, but jalapenos would work just fine. I personally like red hot peppers, but those are hard to find.