Chinese-Inspired Hash Browns
Submitted by Danielle at WentThere8This.
1. Toast the Sichuan peppercorns in a skillet over medium heat until they become fragrant. Remove and grind with a mortar and pestle or spice grinder.
2. Rinse the grated potatoes with water and drain thoroughly.
3. Squeeze any excess water out of the potatoes with your hands or using a towel. I find a towel to be more effective.
4. Mix the potatoes, 1 egg, green onions, minced onion, garlic, white pepper, Sichuan peppercorns, Chinese five spice, soy sauce, and salt in a bowl.
5. Heat the cooking oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
6. Add the potato mixture and cook until crisp on both sides, about 4-6 minutes per side. While they are cooking, periodically use a spatula to press down on them. **You may have to do this in 2 batches - keep the first batch warm in a 200 degree oven.
7. Remove from skillet and serve with fried eggs and drizzle with spicy chili oil