Submitted by: Michael from Rochester Hills, Michigan
Yield: 8 Generous servings
1. Mix the Meat Sauce spices into a bowl and set aside.
2. Pour the various tomatoes into a bowl and add the dry red wine. Mix well and set aside
3. Heat a 3 qt cast iron skillet until water dances. Add the 1.5 oz olive oil to the skillet and wait for it to shimmer and lightly smoke.
4. Add the ¾ lb ground round to the skillet and begin to brown. Once the hamburger begins to brown, add the 1 lb Italian sausage medallions. Once these two items are browned, add the pepperoni slices.
5. Next add the mushroom slices, onion, and garlic to the skillet and mix well.
6. Now add the meat sauce spices into the skillet and mix well.
7. Now add the wine/tomato sauce mixture into the skillet. Mix well and bring to a boil.
8. Once brought to a boil, cover, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for 1.5 hours.
9. While the meat sauce is cooking:
a. Boil water and cook the lasagna noodles. When done, drain and cool with water then separate and refrigerate
b. Slice the mozzarella cheese into thin strips
c. Mix the cheese mixture ingredients into a bowl (ricotta, 2 Tbsp parsley, egg)
d. Grease the bottom and sides of a 9x13 baking dish with olive oil
e. Preheat the oven to 375
10. After the meat sauce has cooked, assemble the lasagna in the greased 9x13 baking dish as follows:
a. 1.5 cups of meat sauce, spread evenly
b. 6 lasagna noodles laid lengthwise
c. ½ of the ricotta cheese mixture, spread evenly
d. ½ of the mozzarella slices, laid evenly
e. 1.5 cups of meat sauce, spread evenly
f. 1 cup of Italian blend shredded cheese, sprinkled evenly
g. 6 lasagna noodles laid lengthwise
h. ½ of the ricotta cheese mixture, spread evenly
i. ½ of the mozzarella slices, laid evenly
j. 1.5 cups of meat sauce, spread evenly
k. 1 cup of Italian blend shredded cheese, sprinkled evenly
11. Take a sheet of aluminum foil and grease the DULL side with olive oil. Cover the baking dish with the oiled side towards the lasagna (SHINY side up). Place in oven and bake for 25 minutes.
12. Remove from oven. Because cheese may be sticking to the foil, carefully remove the foil from the baking dish. Return the lasagna to the oven and bake for an additional 25 minutes.
13. Remove from oven and allow the baking dish to stand for 20-25 minutes before cutting and serving.
If you don't have a 3qt Cast iron skillet, brown the meat in a smaller skillet and then transfer to any 3-4 qt. pot and continue to step 5. Substitute 1/4 lb of the ground round with a 1/4 lb of lean ground lamb
If you enjoyed this recipe, check out more Italian recipes here.