I received the beef stew spices for Christmas after visiting The Spice House's Evanston shop and am having a great time trying them out in different ways.
This is the best beef stew recipe ever, YUM YUM! Even my spouse who doesn't always want to try new flavors is impressed. The smoked paprika made such a wonderful difference in our old standby beef stew!
Submitted by: Laurel from Keota, Iowa
Yield: 6 to 8
- Slice meat in thin slices or cube if you prefer. Brown in olive oil in a heavy skillet. Drain and place in roaster.
- Peel and dice onion and chop celery fairly fine. Put both vegetables into skillet you browned the meat in. Sprinkle with some of the smoked paprika.
- Cook over med, heat until vegetables are caramelized (you might need to add a little more olive oil). Clean and slice carrots into bite size slices. Peel potatoes and cut into cubes.
- Pour all vegetables, broth and tomato sauce over meat in roaster. Season to taste with rest of paprika, granulated onion, and cajun style seasoning.
- Cover and put in 350-degree preheated oven for about 3 hours. If you prefer a thicker stew you can add about ¼ c. flour to the tomato sauce before adding.
More About This Recipe
Can be made in a crock pot but I found the potatoes and carrots stayed crunchy after 3 hours. Might work if cooked for 5 to 6 hours For low-sodium beef stew, use unsalted tomato sauce and Salt-Free Cajun Seasoning.