Yield: 3 stollens
1. Scald milk. Add sugar, salt and butter. Cool to lukewarm.
2. Mix yeast with 1 tablespoon sugar until liquid. Add to lukewarm milk. Stir.
3. Add whole eggs and egg yolks. Beat.
4. Add 3 cups flour. Bear well. Cover.
5. Let rise in warm place about 1 1/2 hour or until doubled.
6. Add cardamon, raisins, citron, cherries and enough flour until dough pulls from side of bowl and is no longer sticky to the touch.
7. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and satiny.
8. Place in lightly greased bowl. Cover. Let rise about 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in bulk.
9. Divide dough into thirds. Use 1/3 for each stollen.
10. Roll on floured canvas into and 8x10 inch oval. Spread with melted butter. Press down center, fold over lengthwise.
11. Place in shallow greased baking pans or on greased cooky sheets. Brush with melted butter.
12. Let rise about 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
13. Bake at 350 degrees about 30 minutes.
14. Frost with Powdered Sugar Icing. Decorate with cherries citron and blanched almonds.
More About This Recipe
*If using Active Dry Yeast follow directions on package. As far as I can tell this original recipe came from a Nov 1959 Electric Company Cook Book.