Submitted by: Stephen from Des Moines, Iowa
Yield: 3 to 4 cups
- In a heavy 2 to 3 quart. saucepan, preferably enameled or non-stick, toast the ginger, cardamom, coriander, fenugreek, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon and allspice over low heat, stirring constantly, just until heated through. Let cool 5 to 10 minutes.
- Combine the toasted spices, onions, garlic, 1 T of the salt and the wine in the jar of an electric blender and blend at high speed until the mixture is a smooth paste. A food processor will not suffice for this.
- Combine the paprika, red pepper, black pepper, and remaining salt in the saucepan and toast over low heat, stirring constantly, for a minute or so, until they are heated through.
- Stir in the water, ¼ c at a time, then add the spice and wine mixture.
- Stirring constantly, cook over the lowest possible heat for 10 to 15 minutes.