Not satisfied with the taste or the proportions of various seafood gumbos, I created my own. With the freshness of The Spice House spices and local seafood, how could it be anything but delicious!
Submitted by: Mike from Glen Burnie, MD
Yield: 4 to 6 as a meal, 6 to 10 as a smaller course
- Clean and prep seafood.
- Prepare roux in large heavy saucepan by stirring butter and flour constantly for 5 minutes on medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and continue stirring for 10 minutes, or until the roux is reddish brown. The darker the roux = more creole vs. cajun (lighter).
- Stir in bell pepper, garlic, onions, celery, salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes until crisp, but tender. Stir often.
- Gradually!! stir in chicken stock. Blend it into the roux and vegetables. Add can of tomatoes, okra, and all the remaining spices but the filé. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, add the andouille, into the pot, already cut into slices, and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
Now would be a good time to start rice according to directions.
- Stir in seafood. Simmer for 5 minutes more until scallops and shrimp are opaque and firm. Stir in filé powder and discard bay leaves.
- Serve in bowls with a scoop of rice on top.
More About This Recipe
• Use fresh seafood. • Take your time on the roux. It is the base that all your flavors layer on. • You can use substantially more black or red pepper and thyme. • Filé powder adds that certain authenticity and helps thicken the gumbo. Also makes a great garnish on top of the rice in the bowls.
Browse For Similar Recipes
- Popular cajun-creole-recipes Recipes
- Best collection_american-recipes Recipes
- Favorite collection_cajun-creole-recipes Recipes
- Recommended collection_fish-recipes Recipes
- Trending collection_main-dish-recipes Recipes
- Popular collection_mardi-gras-recipes Recipes
- Best collection_rice-recipes Recipes
- Favorite collection_shellfish-recipes Recipes
- Recommended is_moderated Recipes
- Trending main-dish-recipes Recipes
- Popular mardi-gras-recipes Recipes