Submitted by: Katie from Idaho Falls, ID
- In deep skillet, fry mustard and cumin seeds in 1 Tbsp oil until the cumin seeds begin to brown; then add onions and fry until soft and translucent.
- And chopped tomatoes and fry until they are stewy. Add sugar, turmeric, masala, curry and coriander; stir till completely combined.
- Add coconut milk and mix in well; simmer to reduce some (however, don’t let it get too thick because it will thicken more as it stands.)
- Add chickpeas; keep stirring until they are hot all the way through.
- Let simmer for 4 minutes covered on low heat, then uncover, take off heat and let it sit for 5 minutes before serving over rice. Adding in a little lime juice and chopped fresh cilantro gives it a nice twist.
For a vegan dish, use beet sugar or evaporated cane juice, not granulated white sugar.